Friday, February 2, 2007

Sean Sean no be forlorn

Hi Sean,

You have fully reclaimed winged creatures and listings, all good stuff. I just went ahead and invested in some IT so I’ll await Ian’s comments and bite the bullet later. (internet shopping is too E-sy.)

Sorry to hear you are feeling it a little, movement is tiring and so is thinking. All combination of factors can lead to much culture and then inertia. The way you are talking about non-place is interesting to me- I remember reading a book about The Bigness of Nothingness (will try and dig out of garage). I recall when I went to The Bund in Shanghai, 25 years after my first visit. The architecture made me feel like I could have been in any city in Europe, it was almost a non-place akin to the felling you get encountering expanses of spaces +metallic sheen- airports, or even the patch of grass outside Urbis and along the river near Tate modern. People become specs coming and going.

Re the production front…I have been worried about my own arrival as last stage and where everyone one will be etc, will it be a case of pack up and go home just as I arrive fresh, what stage of making?? But, hey, there are four - approaches, media channels, head direction and production=us together construct. No need to worry head grasshopper re oncoming deadline-self defeating, can polyfiller and extend each others puzzley bits + pressures. note to self too.

For you:
http://icwdm.org/handbook/birds/birdAirport.asp
http://birding.about.com/library/weekly/aa032898.htm

I went to an engaging talk at FACT on internet art projects. It was useful and encouraging because it addressed a lot of the ideas I mentioned in my last blog, particularly in terms of how we are working in context of our geographical separation. The talk involved about 15 participants of all ages and focussed primarily on Liverpool’s Chinese community and also a project interlinking Shanghai and Liverpool via the internet. I am thinking:

  • How can you facilitate communication between groups without aeroplanes/physical displacement
  • ‘Cognitive mapping’ exercise- I am building up pieces and parts of your setting in Munich, the people, your thoughts etc through your signs and pointers. How can we understand another history and culture through a city’s architecture/social/industry infrastructure
  • When we encounter another culture/location, it makes you question the place you have left more

    I am going to the library to get a copy of “ The empire made me” which I think may help extend this discussion. If you don’t get a myspace instant response, please don’t think I’ve fallen down a hole and am not keeping up with how you guys are progressing- just head room brrmm brmmm.

    Good news about the Pony Bar, possible any scope for me to take part?

    jx

No comments: