Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Basel


Hi,


Yesterday I went from Munich to Basel Airport on a bit of a research trip into what could be called non-places. It was a long day - I left Feldfing village at 5.48am and got back at 11pm - I spent 10 hours altogether at the airport, not going anywhere. It was a really strange place, so quiet and empty, at times it seemed like I was the only passenger. It was depressing and inspiring at the same time - the huge expanses of space, rows upon rows of black leather seats, corridors that seemed to go on forever. Marc Auge, who I think coined the term 'non-place', suggests that these places seem transient in part because they have no memory, or they inspire no memory in us. So perhaps home means memory, history.

No performance developed, but 've brought a lot of ideas and plans home.

Hamish arrives today, which I'm really excited about - It will be a few days of madness before we leave! Tomas had to go back to Prague this week for some work, and it's proven that he is the Dad of the group - he does a lot of cooking and yells up the stairs for people to come and eat, and wthout him we haven't seen quite as much of eachother. El and I are trying to work out ways to remedy that though!

I don't really want to go home, although in lots of ways I can't wait.

I ordered two more books from Amazon which I'm looking forward to. The lack of performance yesterday does make what I will show at PonyBar on Saturday interesting. I need to work something up.


Sean






No comments: