Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Non-places

Hi.

I'm feeling quite low today - the lack of routine is getting to me a bit and I feel a bit overwhelmed by everything that has to be done. But it's good, it's good.

I have made a plan for a new performance (somehow) next Tuesday 6th. I will fly to Basel Mulhouse airport (in France/Switzerland) first thing in the morning, and spend the day there, flying back in the evening. I've booked my flights.

I'm thinking a lot about non-places. I have a memory of seeing small birds flying around in supermarkets and I've been thinking about supermarkets as non-places, passing-through places, and how amazing it was to see a bird (from un-controlable nature, a very place-place) intervening and messing up the system. The airport is another non-place, a passing through place, where no-one engages, where no-one talks, with huge cathedral-like architecture and strange modulated retail units. Even the people who work in non-places seem strange, as if they have to enter this nothing-ness for work - I don't know, there's something about it.

I am working on what I will do when I get there, what I will spend the day doing. I hope to document the trip and make a distinct action in the terminal in the same vein as other work.

Later on this evening loads of people are coming to the Villa after a book-launch at the library. The Villa feels like a non-place - it's meant to feel like home (I think) but it's quite empty, quite pristine. And they use it for events like this one.

Jay - your post was excellent, encouraging, inspiring.

Hamish - really looking forward to seeing you next week - many many saxaphone requests from everyone.

Sean.

No comments: