Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Blurring

It’s been a wee while since I last blogged, but that’s because I’ve been quite a busy art bee. Things are progressing well, if not at whirlwind speed, everyone has expressed that they are feeling the pressure - the truck is soon ready to go on its journey…! It arrived yesterday and seems like a mythlogical beast yet untouched waiting to take my work on a mighty adventure= towards Liverpool. I asked if anybody had been in it and they said no. I think we are all heads down…

Hmm, where do I begin? I began with painting and drawing some of my automatic doodles and naturally they have taken me to performance/video. I am really feeling that I have taken this aspect of my work further, now I feel like I am really traversing that fine line between performance and live, non and to video. That’s because I am not only visitng sites, but assuming characters and weaving a narrative all of my own that has taken from the history, theory and encounters I’ve absorbed so far. I think I’ve used my time well, the time has blurred space and place because I feel like Iam constantly between my art and me. I have been filming all around the villa, locally and further afield, and because the audience is constant= they may wonder why I am behaving acertain way, or dressed in ridiculous clothing, they don’t see the camera and I don’t announce this is art, I am not in the gallery. So it’s almost my secret that Iam doing art, or just doing me. It makes me feel; a little anxious, vulnerable, a tourist? and at the same time completely in my skin.

It’s a strange feeling.

I am having some great discussions with the artists here, I feel like we’re truly working together. Tomas and I have plans for some video action next week, and Eva and I share similar views on where our art can take us. Iam enjoying speaking my French with Olivia, we’re playing the YMPH documentors tommorrow and will follow the trail from the U Bahn to the glass cases. There we will also leave our contributions and perform our act, can’t wait.

I feel Hamish has also gained a lot, he left on Monday. He mixed his sound with his painting and also his surprise sound/tactile activity on the train post too many German pints and soup. Mixed media, 5 minutes 46 seconds. Well, I guess you can always be sure of an audience on the rail routes. Images soon.

Onwards…

No comments: