Thursday, March 1, 2007

Accidental Tourist

So, I am reading Traveller’s Tales from someone close to me and it keeps me close to home as I pass each station on the S Bahn. Today I travelled to Dachau, why not, if I am going to explore overarching concepts of migration, then let’s go to the extreme, I am in Germany for fucks sake.

So, if home is where, as one interviewee pointed out today ‘the heart is’, then the antithesis must be coerced displacement. We travel to broaden our horizon, to enjoy alienation in disguise and conquer another place. Nourishment of soul, the physical external journey that reflects the internal, mental or just leisurely escape from routine.

So, Dachau was the first model concentration camp, not to dwell on the fact that I stood in a gas chamber today, for some reason they were never put into use at this site, but a day walking around and being bombarded by the vast space and history that took place here makes me feel barren. A same kind of unease I encountered whilst in Nanjing, China- 300, 000 massacred at the bayonets of the Japanese. Here we are talking trans-border atrocities that are incomprehensibly beyond skin and territory.

The fact that it hasn’t stopped raining hasn’t bothered me until today.

So, I bought the book, souvenir of course, and feel proud that today I got off as a tourist at the right stop that announced ‘Concentration Camp’. Not quite the usual hotspot. But it’s ok, I only feel mild guilt because yesterday I spent the whole day mostly speaking to Karin Sommer, the director here, and she uncovered some ‘native?’ truths.

It was a good day, I made a connection with a personal story to here which could not escape borders and crossings, Ludwig and then for tea ice cream and wine… it helps the fish (Czech style) swim, so goes the saying.

I like it here a lot, and the people too. I am aware of how my time is passing rather quickly, but it’s only been four days I guess, but I feel strangley at home. Maybe I am used to moving around now, flights take you as far as you want them to. I am staying rooted to here and venturing outwards and returning. That’s the pleasure of this journey. Only 56 euros for a one month ticket.

See you soon,

jx

No comments: